Chairperson’s Message May 2017
Welcome to the Progressives of Kane County. We endeavor to represent progressive values throughout Kane County and to use these into drive legislative and electoral successes.
Our next general meeting is on Monday, May 15th at 7 pm at the Batavia Public Library. This meeting is a Batavia Food Pantry donation event. All attendees are encouraged to donate food items to the pantry.
At this meeting Jim Walz will be announcing his candidacy for the 14th congressional district.
In addition, Bill Barclay from the Democratic Socialists of America will be talking about the DSA organization and we will explore pathways for collaboration.
Other events this month on are an Ameya Pewar Meet and Greet on Saturday, May 6th, and a Fox River Spring cleanup on Saturday, May 20th. Check the calendar for details.
(Please note, the Hot Topic discussion on Sunday, May 21st has been CANCELED)
Check our calendar often for actions and events. New ones are added on a regular basis.
How can I get started?
Please join us for our monthly meetings! They are at 7 p.m. on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. Anyone interested in promoting progressive ideals is welcome.
What is the role of a member?
As a member, you can vote on issues, endorsements, and board member elections. Membership dues are $27 per year.
What else will I do?
It takes grass roots action to realize progressive change. You will have the opportunity to join rallies and marches, canvass and phone bank for candidates, and write letters and sign petitions in regards to policy. Want to do more? Join a committee! Our committee members research candidates and policy, manage our communications network, and develop strategy regarding issues and elections.
How do I learn about politics in Kane County?
The Kane County Government Guide provides an overview of the history of Kane County, scheduled elections, and current elected officials (please note, it was last updated in 2015).
How do I register to vote?
In order to vote in Kane County, you must be a U.S. Citizen, be 18 years of age, and be a resident for 30 days prior to the election. Specific instructions are available on the Kane County Elections site. Several of the members of the Progressives of Kane County are deputy voter registrars.
Please keep checking back here for important news as we retool our organization for the future.
For now, please check out our facebook group to keep up to date on the Progressive movement in Kane County, Illinois.
Meetings are usually the second Thursday of the month. Our April meeting will be at Two Brothers Roundhouse in Aurora. You can check the facebook events calendar here.
Updates from Our Blog
- The AHCA Will Be Dangerous to Us All - I want to briefly introduce myself. My name is Kristin Wagner. I was born and raised in the Chicago suburbs, and after living in Tennessee and Texas returned back home to raise my two boys. I am a wife and mother, a former high school English teacher and currently a writer. I volunteer at our […]
- Chairperson’s Message May 2017 - Welcome to the Progressives of Kane County. We endeavor to represent progressive values throughout Kane County and to use these into drive legislative and electoral successes. Our next general meeting is on Monday, May 15th at 7 pm at the Batavia Public Library. This meeting is a Batavia Food Pantry donation event. All attendees are […]
- Chairperson’s Second Message of April 2017 - April 2017 Welcome to the Progressives of Kane County. I thank our progressive candidates Bob Baty-Barr, Mary Anne Cummings, Tom Dorsey, Kate Garrett, Ellen Posledni, Helen Ratzlow, Holly Scholz, Phil Silagi, Alison Squires and Jose Alfonso Villalobos for putting themselves in the public spotlight and doing the hard work of running for elected office. We […]
- Seven of our progressive candidates have won their races! - Congratulations to all of our candidates! The hard work you put in and the immense help of your supporters has shown that our progressive ideals appeal to the majority of the American public. We thank you for all of the work you’ve done and all of the work you will do in office to help […]
- Chairperson’s Message April 2017 - Welcome to the Progressives of Kane County. We are wrapping up our consolidated election efforts early in this month. Navigate to our candidates section, learn about our endorsed candidates and VOTE! Note that two of our candidates are write-ins. When you are in the voting booth it is important to spell the candidates name correctly. […]